I admit it I love cooking especially when it comes to authentic Mexican food yum…
Well I have finally perfected this fantastic burrito recipe over the last few years and it is ready to go public.
Give it a try let me know what you think. Serves 4 ( twice) prep time approx 1 hr.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 heaped tablespoons of sliced pickled jalapenos
- 2-3 large cloves of garlic
- 4 tablespoons of cumin
- salt to taste
- tomato paste
- 1/2 cup of Mexican Green Salsa ( la goya brand is available here)
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 large green capsicum
- 1 large brown onion
- 2-3 large limes
- 1kg-1.2kg premium beef mince
- Light sour cream
- Grated Cheddar cheese (Colby is great)
- Iceberg lettuce
- Stargate SG-1 ( to watch whilst enjoying your burros)
Dice up Capsicum and Onion set the oil in the fry pan and saute the Capsicum on high for a few minutes then add the onion and cook until transparent turn the heat down to low add the finely chopped jalapeno and crushed garlic, saute for a further minute or so and then add your Green Salsa allow to heat up for a moment then in add the Chopped Tomatoes and tomato paste with the 3 tablespoons of Cumin ( note: use good quality cumin it makes quite a difference). Stir and let it heat up for a minute then remove from heat and transfer to a large saucepan and set aside. This is your homemade Burrito base….. no packets here thanks!
Ok… now on to the fun part, first heat a large non stick fry pan, while the pan is heating squeeze the juice of 2 limes. When hot add the mince ( no oil needed) and add about half the lime juice break up the mince and stirring well while cooking ( add a few sprinkles of salt a couple of times while the meat cooks). When the mince is about half done add the last of the lime juice and stir it in with one generous tablespoon of cumin.
Cook until well browned. Remove and add to the saucepan with your homemade base, place on very low heat for 10-15min, stir well and cover. That’s the mix made!
- Mash two ripe organic ( if possible) avocado’s with the some lime juice I judge this by eye but approx 1/2 a teaspoon is good and some ground pepper to taste. Mash with a fork until creamy.
- Dice a tasty tomato and cut some lettuce into strips
- You can layout some red or green salsa if you wish but they really don’t need it
- Grate your Colby or Cheddar cheese and layout the other condiments.